From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:10:26 -0400
Hi All,
One of my counselors is working with a mom who has been a diabetic
(diagnosed) for 21 years.  Mom is 33 yrs old.  Baby is now 4 weeks old, and
is BF.  Moms Dr has told her that next week he will be changing moms meds
(Don't know what she is on now, working with the counselor to ask more
questions and get more info!) and has told her she can not BF while on the
meds he woill be giving her.  Mom really wants to BF.
Dr refuses (can you believe this?) to tell mom what the name of the
Medication is until her appt next week(I told the counselor to tell mom that
it is her RIGHT to know what med she will be taking and that the Dr has a
responsibility to tell her NOW!).  He has told her to have the baby weaned by
then.
We have checked with a couple other folks who are diabetic and have gotten
the names of a couple of meds, but are not sure if they are OK with BF.
Can anyone give us info on:
Tolinase and Glucotrol (also know as Glipizide)

Are these OK with BF?  Are there any drugs for Diabetes that are not OK with
BF?
I know this is scetchy info, and am sorry.  The mom is kinda hard to get a
hold of, so are trying to educate ourselves with what limited info we have.
TIA!

Jay