Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:37:08 -0500
quick intro.  I'm jessica and have been lurking for about 2 months.  I am
really enjoying reading the Lacnet posts and have learned a lot.  I am
currently a childbirth educator and involved w/ LLL.

I don't know what the research says re nipple confusion, but I have been
working with a mom on-line who is convinced it was the downfall of her
breastfeeding relationship.

She introduced a bottle in the 3-4 week in so that other's could feed the
baby.  Her son immediately started having trouble at the breast (fussy, not
latching, painful latch) so the bottle began to replace the breast.  Soon
mom could not pump enough and ABM replace EBM.  Well baby did not tolerate
ABM at all and began loosing weight and getting very sickly.  At this point
mom started seeing an LC in an attempt to relactate and get baby to breast.
All attempts failed.  Baby is currently 8 months and is doing better now
that he his receiving a significant amount of solids.

I came to know mom after her work with the LC.  She is now one of
breastfeeding's  biggest proponents and warns vigorously about introducing a
bottle if it is not necessary.

Of course this is purely anticdotal, but is at least one case I know of.

jessica mattingly  M.Ed.., CCE
lee's summit, mo