From:
Elizabeth Packard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:18:24 -0700
Hello LactNet Friends,

I know we all come from quite a diverse set of religious backgrounds and
beliefs, but I thought you might share my amusement at the content of my
pastor's sermon last Sunday.

I attend a fairly traditional protestant church in the U.S. It was Father's
Day so our pastor preached a special message titled "The Pastoral Role of
Fathers." One of his main points and at least 10 minutes of his sermon were
spent urging the fathers of our church to have "affectionate hearts" as
described by the apostle Paul in 1 Thessalonians 2:7 "But we proved to be
gentle among you, as a nursing mother tenderly cares for her own
children." Our pastor is quite passionate and he gave one of the most
convincing and lovely promotions of breastfeeding that I have ever heard -
focusing on the tender, loving relationship that develops through nursing at
the breast. He mentioned the benefits of breastfeeding as the best food
source for babies but the real focus was on the nurturing the child receives
from the mother as they breastfeed. One of my favorite lines was, "My wife
nursed all of our children {they have 6}. She loved doing it and I loved
watching her!" There was no mention of formula or bottle feeding. It was
fabulous! And the part that really made me smile was that it was lodged
right in the middle of the Father's Day message to all the men! No wonder so
many women at our church seem to breastfeed successfully - I'm guessing they
have a lot of support from their husbands!

Still smiling about it...

Elizabeth Packard, BA, CLC

Bellingham, Washington