From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:00:04 -0700
teaching my 3rd BF class WEd night and I wanted to say
thanks again to everyone who responded last month with
such great advice on things for my "lesson plan"

I am going to spend even more time this class on the
importance of skin to skin and bonding/bfing time
immediately after delivery.  Someone emailed me about
a copy of my lesson plan and I apologizez but Ive lost
your email- please email again!

 on the crying topic- I've always heard this and its
not just nurses saying it-- so many doctors say things
right after delivery liek "Oh we love it when they
cry- crying is good for their lungs etc."

This has me  thinking-
When a mother immediately after delivery has her baby
wisked away and tended to by these "professionals" and
then she hears the crying and her INSTINCTS tell her-
"my baby is crying-I must RESPOND to its needs" and
then she says something very driven by her primal need
to protect her vulnerable newborn like- "He's
crying-what's wrong?  can I have him please?" and then
3 health care professionals in the room dismiss her
comments and say things like "Oh no- thats good that
hes crying- hes fine- hes great"

surely this has a profound effect on her confidence as
a parent--- her first instinct as a mother is entirely
discounted by the experts around her!

and then we hand her this bundle and expect her to
trust her instincts and breastfeed cause dont worrry
its "natural"

 Ive witnessed this happen and then dealt with the
frustrated mother later trying to perfect her latch
and positioning to breastfeed and her actually saying
to me-- "I feel like I have no mothering instincts at
all"

This crying topic just really gets me thinking again
how our medical system often discounts mothers
instincts on the best way to birth and mother(and
feed!)their newborns

Mary Herrington RN
St Lukes CMC The Woodlands, TX