Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:52:32 -0400
<<  I wouldn't know how to begin to calculate a 10 per cent loss using a
system of two units (lb and oz) where one is 16 times the other, and the
smaller one is between 28 and 29 grams.>>

I agree that metric makes a whole lot more sense, but since we're stuck with
the pounds/ounces thing in the US, here's what I do. Take the birth weight,
(say 6#4oz, or 9#10oz) multiply the pounds by 16 (96 and 144 respectively)
and then add the ounces (96+4 = 100, 144+10= 154). It definately sharpens
your math skills, too!

Then, you refer to the baby's weight in ounces, rather than pounds and
ounces. A 10% loss at 100 ounces is 10 ounces, a 10% loss at 154 ounces is
15 ounces.

If you switch over to the metric system at this point, you are very likely
to confuse the parents, who grew up with household measurements. Medical
staff may be familiar with metric, but it causes a giant divide in
understanding. It's two languages, and the stressed family may not be
comfortable with all the switching around. 100 ounces * 28 grams/ounce =
2800 grams. A loss of 280 grams may be 10%, but the gram measurement has no
meaning to most of us, who then have to divide 280 by 28 to discover we're
talking about a 10 ounce loss.

I find that when there's weight loss involved, the parents are usually so
stressed out, even simple language is challenging. Making it easier for them
makes it easier for everyone.

Best wishes from hot and steamy SE Ohio,
Heather "Sam" Doak