From:
Brandy Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2015 22:53:16 -0500
Need some advice for a mom with striking twins, w/PTP per client.

I'm sparing some details to keep it shorter, so here's the summary:

Mom contacted me initially when Twin B was striking at 9mo of age.  We
worked through that strike, and then she contacted me roughly a month later
when Twin A started a striking after a bloodied nipple biting episode in
the middle of the night.  After three weeks, baby will not take expressed
milk from a sippy or regular cup, but will take it from a bottle with no
problem.  Encouraging her back to the breast has been unsuccessful so far
via various methods.  Because even gentle attempts to offer the breast
seemed to cause baby more stress, mom elected to take a break from and
exclusively pump, hopefully helping her to forget her trigger and 'reset'.
Mom would continue to nurse Baby B.  However, over the weekend, Baby B
started biting again with each feeding, and her decision was to pump during
the day for him as well, and continue nursing him at night.  Now he has
completely started refusing the breast.

Mom is not happy about the situation, as she hates pumping and would like
to make it to her year mark at the breast (coming up very soon).  After
talking it out, I don't think it's so much about the twins forgetting the
trauma as her--she was bloodied with biting a few times and is, herself,
traumatized and frustrated by all of this.  I told her I would ask
colleagues for suggestions to help HER relax, since she agrees that her
tension and apprehension is probably the bigger problem here.  She wants to
know how she 'should' react if nipped, what she can do to ease her own
stress, etc.

I've had personal experience with this, and really stressed prevention and
patience, but I don't have any evidence-based advice on what to do with a
mom whose anxiety is probably the root problem.   Anyone have good tips to
help this mom unwind and/or guide her through the double strike?

-Brandy, IBCLC
The Mobile LC
https://www.facebook.com/mobilelactation