From:
Heather Shelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 21:28:27 -0700
Here are some cut and pastes on mom's update over the last few days.

The milk has started to reabsorb, so she is feeling a bit better.

Baby wasn't gaining at all, in fact loosing. Baby was also not waking for a
feeding until 4-5 hours. Mom would try to put baby to breast every hour with
no success. I had them start supplementing with her milk via syringe or
bottle (their preference) after every feeding. The day after that baby
started eating on his own every 2-3 hours with only occasionally wanting
more from a bottle. I will call them today on day 3 after supplementing.

Baby has also started stooling twice a day, but the stools on day 7 of life
are still transitional.

I don't have a scale so I told her of some options to get baby weighed for
test feeds. She did say that the hospital told her to bring baby in any time
for weighs. The ped (a temporary one as they are moving at the end of the
month) is not breastfeeding friendly at all so she doesn't want to alert her
to any breastfeeding problems unless medically necessary.

Oh, mom is also trying to give baby hind milk (pumps then feeds then pumps
again) so that it can get rich creamy milk to help with weight gain. Her
idea.

Her mom is with her now for the month. She breastfed all 5 kids for around a
year 20-30 yrs ago, so she should be of some help her to.

Mom pumped 4 times yesterday and produced over 40 ounces of milk. Amazing, I
was like that also, so I feel for her.

On another note, after watching her feed many times baby has a good latch,
needs readjusting here and there, but mom does fine.

Baby's jaw moves a lot, but his suck isn't the strongest.

OK here is the update as of tonight from the grandma;

Baby has started pooping many times a day with more peed diapers than
before. Mom is starting to regulate her pumping to drop her supply a bit.
She is looking at donating to the NC milk bank 45 minutes from her house
until she starts work at 3 months, and then the supply will be for her
freezer.

Baby is now crying when hungry and waking on his own for feeds every 1-1/2
to 2 hours. He will no longer accept any supplementing and pulls off the
breast with milk drunkenness (that happy baby smile with milk dripping out
of the corners of the mouth).

Grandma says that baby's face is starting to fill out and he is acting more
alert.

I am not a writer, so I hope that you made it through all of my grammar and
not so smooth paragraphs.

I would also like to thank those of you who emailed me with suggestions and
learning bits of advice.

Heather Shelley