From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 07:37:31 -0500

<<  "modified cows milk"  or  "modified soy milk" >>

I like these names Ruth Bacon suggested better than the others so far, but I
wish we could come up with something instead of the word milk.  These are NOT
MILKS!  The others that use the word "baby", "human", "mother's" or "breast"
give the connotation that it is for the "baby", or the closest thing to
"human" milk,  just like "mother's",  or like "breast" milk and perpetuate
the myth the companies have so carefully nutured.  If we start calling it
what it acutally is "cow milk with additives" or " soy soup with additives"
instead it may help people, parents AND professionals, to think about what it
acutally is and to stop playing the little psychological mind game that
everyone subscribes to, that these products are milks for human babies.  They
are NOT MILKS just because they are fed to babies.  And I wish we would not
even call them substitutes.  A substitute is AS GOOD or ALMOST as good.  If I
substitute noodles for macaroni in cooking, it may be just as good, with no
decrease in flavor or food value.  These substitute products are NOT just as
good.  They are not even close.  Lets start calling them what they REALLY are
in public.

Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA