ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Laia Robichaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:19:33 -0700

Jeff,

Actually, "qualitative research" is a definition of the methods of the
research, not the goals. What you've described as "start with data, then
work toward a hypothesis" is (one type of) exploratory research, as opposed
to more confirmatory research ("start with a hypothesis, then collect and
analyze data").  Exploratory research can use quantitative methods (random
sampling, statistical significance, experimental design, etc.) just as
easily as qualitative (interviews, focus groups, observation, etc.), just as
confirmatory research can use any of these techniques.

Laia Robichaux
Environmental Sciences Program
Environmental Education
Doctoral Program