ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:30:18 -0500

(sorry if there are formatting problems in this message...I couldn't get
them to go away on my computer screen)

The info in my message below isn't specific to depicting science through
photos, but depicting science in the media, something I'm sure we've all
had plenty of experience with...read on...

The Adler Planetarium and the NASA Astrobiology Institute will be hosting
the Pale Blue Dot III workshop Sept. 17-20, 2006.  Scientific themes to be
addressed by the workshop include:

	•	Earth as a Pale Blue Dot: Planetary Scale Biosignatures
	•	Environmental Evolution of Venus, Earth, Mars and Titan
	•	Remote-Sensing Techniques for Biosignature Detection
	•	Recognizing Habitable Environments in our Cosmic Neighborhood
	•	Future Observations of Distant Habitable Worlds
	•	Contemplating the Distribution of Life in the Universe

Scientists will be talking about various workshop-related topics, but as
part of that, several science writers and journalists, including Molly
Bentley (BBC), Leonard David (Space.com), Michael Lemonick (Time
magazine), and others will be giving their "take" on the topics that were
just presented from a media and public communication of science
standpoint.  The scientists and journalists will be discussing things
together, along with plenty of audience participation.  I, for one, am
extremely excited to see how this will all be done.  The scientists are
really jazzed about doing this format.

The discussions, save one, will only be open to workshop registrants.  If
you or a scientist you love might be interested in the workshop,
information can be found at
http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/pale_blue_dot/.  The one discussion that
IS open to the public is about cosmic impacts & evolution and cosmic
catastrophies and will be at the Harris Theater in Chicago at 7 pm on
Tuesday, Sept. 19.  The scientist will be David Morrison, 2004 winner of
the AAS Carl Sagan Prize, and the journalist will be Ira Flatow of NPR.

Hope you or someone you know can come to Pale Blue Dot III!  Space is
limited!

Michelle

Michelle Nichols, Master Educator for Informal Programs
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum
1300 S. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL  60605
312-322-0520