ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:32:38 -0500

Wayne:  The argument you make in the first paragraph supports the
Marin's article that is summaried - that our tendency to dismiss what
we presume to be unscientific is in great part due to our cultural
heritage.  (Remember, we are talking about language here - not the
movie).  I found the article interesting because it suggests that the
assumptions many of us have made about something we call "science vs.
religion,'" in the modern context, is more complex in its origins
than some dilettantes, like me, presumed.

Sorry if you took it to mean I was going all new-agey on the list-
serv.  But I do buy Marin's argument that the translation of a
theoretical framework from one language to another can be complicated
by the constraints of language, that these initial complications can
lead to distortion and/or misappropriation.