ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Audra Baleisis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 06:54:15 +0200

This has been a really great discussion to 'listen' in on. I think the
idea of "only the evidence", what is a fact versus a hunch or
just an accepted norm within a community of researchers, is not as
clearly recognizable as we think. Because in part, it is the
community of practice that decides what to accept as a fact and what
not to. I realized at some point that I did think about concepts
like facts or evidence as unproblematic, as easy to recognize, almost
as if they were tagged somehow. "Oh, ok, that has a fact tag,
it must be a fact." Unfortunately, they aren't tagged, except by being
accepted/rejected by some majority of researchers, or one big
name in a field. But there is no other way to do science. It has to be
culturally influenced because humans do it. It is intrinsically
subjective, based on language, and on definitions that humans have set
up.

I think this issue makes the evolution/creationism (and other such)
debate more subtle. Not in the sense that I believe in creationism,
but that simple arguments about evolution being unbiased (and
therefore science) don't work so well. I don't think this is a bad
thing -
I often feel like the debate is stuck at a very 5th grader level "yes
it is!" "no it isn't" "is so!" "is not!", and wish there were more
sophisticated
discussion.

In addition to the Kuhn, I skimmed through Bruno and Latour's book
"Laboratory Life: The Construction of Scientific Facts" for a class in
science teaching methods (unfortunately I could only sit in on the
class). They are sociologists, and were looking at the sociology of
the workings of a biology lab. And they brought up some great points
about how science works - what makes a fact, how equipment can be used
to measure but in some ways create data, etc. I'm still working
through this one in my head.

Anyway, thanks for getting me thinking about these issues again!

Audra Baleisis
(for now independent science education consultant, in Switzerland)