ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:36:06 -0400

If there is anyone out there who is currently considering returning to
school for a Master's or Doctoral degree, the project on which I work at The
George Washington University while I'm pursuing my Doctoral degree is
looking for another Research Assistant. (The project is called SCALE-uP -
www.gwu.edu/~scale-up.) The project is interdisciplinary - Education and
Anthropology - and the job is on the Anthropology side. That part of the
work involves analyzing student discourse as they learn science in groups
using inquiry-centered curricula. It's been interesting for me to look at
that work in light of the social context of informal learning and any
implications that what we learn about student interactions with curriculum
might have for what we might learn (and have learned) about children's
interactions with exhibits.

At any rate, the position is full-time, and it covers 96% of tuition at GW.
There is a very good Museum Education program here
(http://gsehd.gwu.edu/gsehd/Museum+Education+%28M.A.T.%29), and a very good
Museum Studies program (http://www.gwu.edu/~mstd/). Both of those are
Master's programs. I'm in the Curriculum & Instruction Doctoral program
(http://gsehd.gwu.edu/gsehd/C+I+EdD), hoping to apply what I learn to a
dissertation on learning in informal environments.

I know the question of what next steps might be for someone looking to
further their education with an eye toward working in informal environments
comes up now and again on this listserv. There might be opportunities at GWU
for people thinking that way now.

If anyone would like any further information, please contact me at

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Watson
Research Assistant, SCALE-uP
The George Washington University
Graduate School of Education and Human Development
Department of Teacher Preparation and Special Education
2134 G St. NW
Washington, DC  20052
Phone: (202) 994-1171
Fax: (202) 994-0692