ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew Wenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:25:03 -0700

Jesse,

I have worked a lot with VanDeGraff generators myself.  Not only can
they be tricky to maintain, but It can be difficult to find good ones
on the market.  If you can get a good one, then there are three simple
things I recommend to keep them in top condition:

1) Wipe down components regularly with alcohol (I use methanol).  As
Dave already mentioned, water is death and dust is every bit as bad.
Make sure you clean off all the charge pick-ups (top and bottom), the
rollers and bearings, the belt, and the INSIDE OF THE COLUMN.  Be
liberal with the Alcohol, make sure you use a lint free cloth, and when
the alcohol evaporates and you have a clean, dry machine.

2) Make sure you have a good belt.  If the belt starts to shred, little
bits come off and once you have belt-bits inside the column, you lose
charge.  Be careful your contacts are as close to the belt as possible,
but don't actually touch, this will quickly scrape and ruin your charge
carrier.

3) Make a discharge wand.  A piece of aluminum rod 1/4 inch in diameter
(or close), rounded at one end, and on the other end, the last inch
should be tapered to a rounded point.  This simple device will not only
keep greasy and dirty hands off of the top terminal (which contributes
to dirt pick-up and charge loss), but if your VanDegraff subject
decides to let go of the machine while it's running, they won't feel a
shock, try it, it's amazing.  Richard Ford showed me this little trick
while I was at the U of I in Urbana, IL.  As long as you are standing
on a stool, you can touch it and let go as you want, and there's no
problem.  This also lets the person reach down and touch the bottom of
the generator to discharge without feeling a shock (it distributes the
charge movement over more of your hand instead of through one spot).

Personally, I LOVED the VanDeGraaf from Science First, but ever since
they put the big square, pointy metal base on the bottom, it just
doesn't work as well.  If they will sell it to you, you can buy half of
a top terminal, turn it upside down, put all the components onto a
wooden base and slide the half-terminal down to cover it up.  It looks
classy, and it has rounded edges.  No switch, but who cares, get a foot
pedal.  I'd be happy to discuss the mods with you off-list if you like.
  Once you get one of these working, all you have to do is keep it clean
and it should give you years of good service.

***If anyone else knows of any other good VDG generators out there, I'd
love to hear about it.

I hope this helps!

Matthew Wenger
University of Arizona