ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Summer Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:46:50 -0600

Marc,

That's a great idea for Space Day!

We sent "postcards from Mars" at our "Red Planet Rendezvous" event last
August, and we wanted to achieve the same effect.  Our solution was to use a
mass-market rubber stamp of a postal cancellation stamp (the stamp on mail
with a circle stating location and date inside, with 4-5 flagella-esque
lines flowing from it).  It said, instead of the location and date, "wish
you were here," and we placed a small holographic alien-head sticker in the
center to "authenticate" it as Martian.

For the different planets, you could use small stickers depicting them --
those are fairly available at craft/education stores.

Otherwise, depending on your budget, here's a place where you can make a
custom one for under $15.  It's still custom-making, but at a moderate
price:
https://wcp-nm-ssl.qwknetllc.com/osc/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&produ
cts_id=202&osCsid=0e0945ad73d63fafd4e5f46bdc6bd189

(The stamp I mention in the first paragraph looked like that one, with "wish
you were here" instead of an address.  It's by All Night Media, Inc., called
"Wish Postmark," item 554E.)

I hope this helps, and thanks for asking - it led me to some nifty
"correspondence art" supplies in which I'm interested anyway!

Have a "correspondingly" good day,
Summer
Summer N. Smith
Public Programs Manager