ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2012 19:31:44 -0600

Paul,

Several years ago I worked with the West Virginia High Tech Foundation
to develop a PC/haptics based application that focused on teaching the
solar system to students with visual impairments and those who are
blind. The haptics was very interesting and the approach included
classroom activities for a mainstreamed situation that would include
middle school children with visual impairment. It covered basic physics
concepts as well as planet building processes. The devices and teacher's
guide were available through the NASA resource center in West Virginia.
This was 2005 or 2006 and I don't know if they are still available.

I did the front-end for this at the West Virginia school for the blind
and used tactile maps and objects from several regular scientific supply
companies.

The developer of this program was Marjorie Darrah. She is now teaching
college math, and looks to be available through this project. You could
check with her to see where and if this is still available.

http://wisewomen.wvu.edu/about/spotlights/marjorie_darrah

Best regards,

Carey

Carey Tisdal