Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:48:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Greetings all -

I just joined the listserv, only to find two messages from today that relate to my topic of interest.  I hope this bodes well for my request.  ;-)

I am putting together a 2008 ASTC session proposal on training volunteers *as science presenters*, and I am seeking others who would be interested in collaborating. Specifically, I am looking for presenters who can discuss diverse models for training (as well as scheduling) their volunteers, and how various challenges have been addressed.  (Sample challenges: diversity of volunteers in terms of age, science knowledge, professional experience, communication skills, etc.; fluctuation in volunteer numbers from day to day, and how that affects programming you can offer; etc.)

Please note: this is not about volunteer recruitment, or general/institutional/HR orientation or training.  I wish to hear from those in Education/Interpretation/Programs departments -  You are handed volunteers from your respective Volunteer department; how do YOU then prepare these people to be out on the floor educating visitors about science?  If you are interested in co-presenting on this topic, please respond to me directly ASAP with a brief description of how you train and use volunteers at your organization, and how you have overcome - or not - the challenges involved.

Thank you,
Naomi

---------------------------------------------------
Naomi Echental
Museum Programs Manager
The Franklin Institute Science Museum
222 North 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1194
Phone: (215) 448-1374
Fax: (215) 448-1219
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
---------------------------------------------------

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2