ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:56:11 -0500

Regan,

We don't avoid the confusion. I, too, prefer "exhibition" to mean the entire
set of elements focused around one over-arching theme or topic and "exhibit"
to mean one specific set of elements or components focused around one
experience or idea. Words do matter because they provide place-holders for
concepts, tools for clear communication--with each others and visitors. Many
individual exhibits have multiple components now--an interactive, label,
video, and in some instances an artifact. It's nuts! Precise language is so
useful. So why don't we value precise language? Rugged individualism? "It's
'my' word and I will use it to mean exactly what I want it to!" That sort of
defeats the whole purpose of language as a communication tool. Our use of
these terms interchangeably may reveals some intellectual rebellion against
authority. (See the "so academic" quote.) I approve of that, of course. It
allows room for creativity and innovation--I love to work with all these
creative, confused people. I am so glad science centers
developed apart from academic structures! But, it also allows room for total
screw-ups. Confusing? Yes. Inconsistent? Of course. Uh, well, like, dudette,
we like, totally, don't know what we are sayng. We're Americans (another
term
that reveals imprecise use of language). We are not a reflective people.
"Build it and they will
come." Act first, think later. I can't figure out whether to love us or be
totally exasperated! It certainly helps to laugh! But, unlike Dr. Watson, I
have seen some totally awesome, really bad,
exhibition/exhibit/component/elements in musuems/science centers/informal
learning institutions/free choice learning centers that like, so, really
totally connect with the uh, visitor/audience/guest/casual general
public/strangers from a strange land, you know, dudette that like I'm just
really -- no words, you know, man, like speechless. And some really bad
ones. :-) So . . . I have given up getting people to use the term
"exhibition" rather than "exhibit." But, I do use it myself.

Just a little musing on American identity and character as it plays out in
the development of institutions and exhibitions.

Cheers and smiles,

Carey

Carey E. Tisdal
Tisdal Consulting