ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:22:15 -0500

Please forgive cross posting, and also please feel free to forward to
friends/colleagues who might be interested.

Hello, all:  The National Association for Museum Exhibition and AAM
are planning a wonderful retreat at Asilomar in Monterey California
from May 31-June 2.  Full description and links below.

We want to bring voices from outside our field to bear on the
challenges of collaboration and creativity, so we are going to have
"instigators" from Burning Man, from Industrial Light and Magic, and
from World Without Oil, along with some great museum people.

Also, it is right after Maker Faire, which is another amazing
experience just a few miles up the road.

Please please please try to come, I think it can be great.

Eric Siegel
Director and Chief Content Officer
NY Hall of Science
President of
The National Association for Museum Exhibition

SAVE THE DATE: Creativity and Collaboration Retreat--May 31-June 2,
2009 in Monterey, CA.

I am pleased to announce the Creativity and Collaboration (C2)
Retreat, an exciting new collaboration with AAM that will recharge the
creative batteries of experienced exhibition professionals.   C2 will
be an important opportunity to step away from your day to day
activities, engage with new perspectives from outside the museum
profession, and build stronger networks with your colleagues.

The retreat will take place from May 31 to June 2, 2009 at Asilomar, a
historic beachfront conference center in Monterey, CA http://www.visitasilomar.com/
.

Details can be found on the AAM website here: http://www.aam-us.org/getinvolved/learn/creativityandcollaboration.cfm
.  The C2 planning team has also set up a participatory C2 web site
at  http://createcollaborate.org/.

Goals. The fundamental goal of the retreat is to engage new voices
from outside the museum field to inform our creative processes.  The
target audience for C2 is experienced museum exhibition professionals
looking to expand their horizons.  This is a time of dramatic
transformation for museums, and fresh thinking is clearly required.
To that end, we have engaged five amazing people to challenge our
assumptions: Kate Shaw, the head of training for LucasFilm; Harley
DuBois, community wrangler for the Burning Man festival;  Ken Eklund,
designer of mass collaboration games like World Without Oil; and Mike
Petrich and Karen Wilkinson, who run the Learning Studio at the
Exploratorium.  We will also have a behind the scenes tour of the
Monterey Bay Aquarium led by their extraordinarily creative (and
collaborative!) exhibition team.

Learn by Doing. C2 will be an experiential learning retreat, we will
learn by engaging in collaborative activities that take advantage of
Asilomar's beautiful natural setting. What exactly are these
activities?  Well, the planning team of Nina Simon, Jenny Sayre
Ramberg, Darcie Fohrman, Greg Stevens, and I have set up the
createcollaborate.org web site to harvest suggestions.  Of course, we
and our "instigators" have lots of ideas, but we really do want to
hear from you.

Timing. A couple of points about timing.  We have to know about the
registration for Asilomar by mid-March, and we do anticipate this
selling out (we are limited to 80 people), so please register early.
We would love to have strong NAME membership representation.

Also, by good fortune, the Bay area Maker Faire http://makerfaire.com/
is happening the weekend before the retreat.  If you would like to
make your own arrangements to come out a day or two early, we will
meet with the organizers of that amazing event, details to follow.

The 800 Lb Gorilla. I also want to directly address the 800 pound
gorilla in the room:  the economy.  With all the reductions in funding
and scaling back of museum activities, how can a workshop like C2 be
justified?  While the prices for registration and lodging are modest,
and travel is quite inexpensive now, we are all confronting these
kinds of challenges.  We suggest that there has never been a more
important time to consider "out of the box" strategies, as the
resources for business-as-usual may not be available.  Second, on a
personal and pragmatic level, this is an essential time to build and
strengthen your personal working network, to share resources and ideas
and help to provide flexibility and opportunity in a changing job
market.  That said, we know resources are tight, and we are working to
establish a limited number of C2 Fellowships.  We will keep you posted
on that.

So, that is the overview of C2.  The planning team, made up of current
and former NAME Board members and our colleagues at AAM, has been
great.  We are waiting to hear from you at createcollaborate.org, and
look forward to seeing you in Monterey in May!

Best Regards,

Eric Siegel
President of NAM

Eric Siegel