ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Trammell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:24:07 -0500

The American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific, educational
and professional society, created a colorful, safe and economic poster
exhibit to educate the public, describing in layman's terms the important
benefits of chemistry on which our daily life depends. These were translated
into more than 25 languages and used worldwide. This set of 33 posters can
be freely downloaded (www.chemistryinyourlife.org) and printed in various
sizes for display in part or as a whole in sequence. A DVD of these posters
can be made for viewing on flat screen monitors. These should be on display
in every science museums in the United States.
Our everyday life is dependent on chemical developments from food to
entertainment. The public does not realize that without them, we would live
under Stone Age conditions. Chemistry and chemicals have a poor public
image. This decreases public support for chemical research and steers
students away from studying Chemistry. Spectacular chemical experiments can
awe the public briefly but even these are difficult to show in science
museums due to safety and liability issues.
If you are interested in displaying this material, please contact Dr.
Pavlath for more information and to discuss it in more detail. He is anxious
to help you freely with the process.
Dr. Attila Pavlath, ACS Past President
WRRC-USDA
800 Buchanan
Albany, CA 94710
Tel.: 510-559-5620
FAX: 510-559-5818
E-mail:  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
Bill Trammell
2011 ACS Chemistry Outreach Award Winner
email: [log in to unmask]