ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Clifford Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:43:59 -0400

Almost any pedal device, getting a fresh rider every 30 seconds who
wants to sprint, is a maintenance load.  If you have a choice, make it
hand driven.  The best solution in a situation like this where you do
want a good deal of power from the visitor is to turn a bike frame
upside down, cut off the front end of it and use the pedal crank  with
modified pedals that have easily gripped rubber balls instead of the
pedals.  It's one of those nice touches in exhibits to leave the
bicycle recognizable as having been a bicycle; leave the seat on.
here's a photo of the Color Storm device in my Color Play exhibit.
  http://www.scienceinteractives.com/ex_color_c_storm.html
The reason the pedals get modified to rubber balls is because once in a
while there are two kids, one on each side, and you don't want the one
kid to whap the other with something that protrudes.  The hardest part
of this is enclosing the chain in plexi.  Color storm should give you a
idea of the strategy of that plexi enclosure.  Each crank arm has a
circular disk of plexi screwed to the crank arm's side so there is no
place fro any body parts to get caught.

Clifford Wagner