ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Vinski, Jerome" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:58:33 -0500

In New Jersey both Astronomy and Earth Science are listed as a separate
Content Standard just like physics, chemistry, etc.  Both Astronomy and
ES make up 25% of the benchmark State tests in grade 4, 8 and 11.
However, NJ is partnering with other States in the American Diploma
Program which will put Physics first (which is good) but it will take
Earth science and general science out of HS.  This will leave ES in
middle school.  Astronomy doesn't show up in HS anyway other than as an
elective for seniors and a few teachers who integrate it in other
courses.  It is a pretty big part of K-8 though.

Jerry Vinski, Director
NJACE and Planetarium Dept.
Raritan Valley Com. Coll.
PO Box 3300
Somerville, NJ 08876
(ship)
Rt 28 and Lamington Rd.
North Branch, NJ 08876
Ph 908-231-8805
Fax 908-526-7938
www.raritanval.edu/planetarium

The New Jersey Astronomy Center for Education (NJACE) includes  - the
Teaching Institute, and a 100-seat Planetarium