ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:05:55 -0500

In addition to the question about what will be counted as "good science
education", two equally important and related questions to me are 1) what
counts as important science to learn, and 2) what counts as a good way to
assess students' understanding of science? While there might be many
individual teachers who provide the kind of science education we all might
want for our kids, that vision is not reflected by the local standards with
which I am familiar, and really only given lipservice at the state level.

I'm sure there are many on this list who are very personally involved with
helping teachers and districts to implement a vision of what Bronwyn
referred to as "successful" science learning (and teaching). However, I
wonder how many of us have seriously considered the question of assessment
of students' understanding of science? My experience has been that members
of the informal science community tend to resist discussions of assessment
because of the negative connotations currently surrounding the word and our
own aversions to potentially being viewed as one more "resource" that can
bring up a standardized test score. I don't think anybody wants that. On the
other hand, the days may be gone (or at least numbered) when we can get away
with simply saying that there are no hard and fast learning outcomes, per
se, from experience in an informal science learning environment and that
what we do is motivate, inspire, and other generally unmeasurable things.

I recently had the opportunity to review a colleague's summary of Rob
Semper's closing remarks from the Bay Area Institute at the Exploratorium
last summer. If I understood the comments correctly, they included the idea
that informal science institutions need to move beyond evaluation to
accountability in terms of the students and teachers with whom they work,
which I found to be particularly cogent. Also, if I understood the comments
correctly, I believe Rob went on to suggest that perhaps the danger of
accountability comes about when it's imposed by a force outside the system
rather than internally conceived, designed, and implemented, with the
implication being that we need to be proactive in developing accountability
expectations for ourselves.

So the assessment issue for me is at least two-fold: First, we need, as a
field, an honest assessment of how we might hold ourselves accountable as
partners with schools and school systems. Second, as partners, we need to
seriously consider not only how we might (continue to)  work with schools to
move toward science education that is consistent with our vision, but also
how we might work with schools to move toward science assessment that
provides meaningful data about what students actually know and can do,
relative to what we believe they should know and be able to do. We might
find that it's hard to separate the two: The closer we examine how we know
what people know in informal contexts, the closer we might come to providing
some guidance on how we could know what people know in school contexts that
share our vision of science education.

Thanks for getting this conversation started, Bronwyn. I'm interested in
being a part of continuing it, whether here or in a side discussion
somewhere else.

Bill

Bill Watson
Research Assistant, SCALE-uP
The George Washington University
Graduate School of Education and Human Development
Department of Teacher Preparation and Special Education
2134 G St. NW
Washington, DC  20052
Phone: (202) 994-1171
Fax: (202) 994-0692