ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Becky Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:51:05 -0500

Robert, we also use the Winsco N100-V van de Graaff generator and find
them very dependable.  We keep a stock of several replacement belts
available (around $13 each).  You aren't supposed to store the belts for
a real long time, but we've had them stored for a year or two before we
used them and they still worked fine.  Once a belt starts to tear, we
replace it, because it will go quickly after it starts to come apart.
Several years ago, we purchased a larger VDG with a very thick belt; it
did not function nearly as well as the smaller Winsco model. And as
someone, Rob Krampf, I think, once said, a huge VDG that doesn't work so
well is a lot more disappointing than a small one that doesn't work so
well.  ;->

The VDG needs to remain dry, so we run dehumidifiers in the theater when
we have programs scheduled (especially during damp, warm weather) and we
keep one unit in a case with a small heater element in case the others
are not functioning well.  We use them a lot in programs, sometimes in a
public and a school program at the same time, so we keep three of the
Winsco N100-V machines all ready to go.

VDGs are simple, but I used to find some of their problems perplexing.
Rob Krampf ("Mr. Electricity") took the time to help me understand their
quirks.  When a new belt and drying out in our climate-controlled case
hasn't fixed a VDG, we've replaced the felt roller with a replacement
one and that usually does the trick. (This has only happened once or
twice in many years.)

The stack of aluminum pie plates flying off is my favorite non-human
demonstration.  Another fun demo is to stick a cheap cheerleader's
pompom (think dollar store or party store) onto the top of the machine
with a small piece of modeling clay.  This can be an introduction to
"what we hope will happen" with a human volunteer's hair or can serve as
a substitute for the hair-standing-on-end demo in case you have no
willing volunteers.

Becky Fox Matthews
Senior Educator/Special Projects Manager
Adventure Science Center
800 Ft. Negley Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37203
voice: 615-401-5073