ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carolyn Levi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:52:07 -0500

The IMAX film that is getting seriously hurt, and that gets the most
coverage in the NYTimes article is "Volcanoes of the Deep."
"Volcanoes" is about as close to the gold standard for objectivity
and solid science as we could ask for.  Leading deep sea researchers
devoted many, many weeks to making it happen and to making it
educationally valuable.

This is a direct quote direct from the article -- boldface is mine:
"Hyman Field, who as a science foundation official had a role in the
financing of "Volcanoes," said he understood that theaters must be
responsive to their audiences. But Dr. Field he said he was "furious"
that a science museum would decide not to show a scientifically
accurate documentary like "Volcanoes" because it mentioned evolution.
"

Carolyn

>SEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>
>It would be easy to jump on this as just another example of educational
>institutions caving in to the right wing agenda, which it probably is, but
>lets face it, the iMax/OmniMax films have never been the gold standard for
>accuracy, completeness, and objectivity. They are, and have always been,
>revenue enhacing entertainment. Any educational content has been a happy
>by-product.
>
>At the begining of the long running T-Rex Back to the Cretaceous, they
>actually ran a disclaimer warning of historically innacurate content. This
>doesn't even speak to the embarassing portrayal of women archaeologists and
>museum professionals in general.
>
>It's a difficult question to answer. Would you want your iMax theater to run
>an inaccurate, stereotyped movie that contains evolution as a core theme, or
>be afraid to run that same film because of fears from creationists.
>
>Its an embarrassng choice to have to make.
>
>Just having a cynical Moday afternoon.
>

>Matthew White
>Director, Hands On Science
>Smithsonian Institution
>PO Box 37012
>NMAH MRC 603
>14th St. & Constitution Ave
>Washington, D.C. 20013-7012
>202/633-3698
>FAX:202/357-3328
>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>institutions.
>
>	 This is symptomatic of a  national conservative attack on
>empirical based scientific theories (though no one seems to be
>attacking other theories like relativity). What is sobering is that
>institutions that are established to present science as observable
>and testable-not based upon faith-are caving to this pressure.
>
>One wonders if the remarks of viewers in the focus group who favored
>the films  were as emphatic as those opposed to it? Was there was
>less of a risk of pressure from them if the film were not shown? Of
>if their thoughts are deemed less important?
>
>It would be interesting to hear from Fort Worth and other
>institutions about how they came to their decision and just what the
>pressure or the perception of is like?
>
>If you'd like to keep to date on the campaign to inhibit and prohibit
>teaching of evolution  be sure to consult NCSE's (National Center for
>Science Education, Inc.) web sitehttp://www.ncseweb.org
>where you can always find the latest news on evolution education and
>threats to it.
>
>For another aspect of the attacks on evolution see: To read "Battle
>on teaching evolution sharpens" (registration required), visit:
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32444-2005Mar13.html
> [...]

Carolyn Levi, Ph.D.
Director, COSEE New England
New England Aquarium