ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Julie Wignall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:34:33 -0800

Jonah,

Unfortunately, I've been to many museums, zoos and aquariums that carry
books that are inaccurate and items that are inappropriate in their gift shops.
Some serve items on menus in restaurants that don't jive with the mission of
the facility (imagine an oceanarium serving shark fin soup in their associated
restaurants).

Staff members are usually unaware of these "faux pas" in the gift shops as
merchandising decisions are left to the retail buyers. With the support of
management, there are a number of facilities that now allow staff members
to review all merchandise before placing it on the shelves. However, without
management support, most retail buyers get very upset and feel that their
territory is being encroached upon when their judgement is questioned.

Julie Wignall

Biodynamics Inc.
7265 W. Coley Ave.
Las Vegas, NV  89117