ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:01:07 -0400

I love this discussion and am happy to see other science centers with wind tunnels.  We just got ours and have yet to program with it on our gallery floors. I'd love to hear how those with wind tunnels are using them. What types of programs do you do?  What works the best?  Right now we are going to start simple and have the kids make various designs of paper airplanes. They can experiment with how much velocity is need to get their design to fly, what modifications are need to make their plane turn and measure the amount force pressure on each design. Does anyone inject smoke into their machine?  We are having some difficulty getting a thick enough smoke stream to show airflow over a wing and separation at high angles of attack!

Thanks,

Jason