ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:45:39 -0700

The excercise of having someone draw a scientist is interesting but I question
whether asking for a single drawing is representative of what the drawer
actually believes scientists to be.
Now even though I am a female neuroscientist whose lab doesn't even have
test tubes if asked to draw a scientist I would probably draw a male in
a lab coat holding a test tube (that is if I had any drawing ability at
all since in reality I would probably only manage a stick figure).  I
would draw this not because I think all scientists look like this but
because I think this is the image most able to convey scientist to other
people.  What I would be very curious to see is what would happen if you
asked people to draw 5 different pictures of a scientist.  This way
people take up one drawing on the traditional test tube picture and then
there would be 4 other pictures to see if people have any concept of the
diversity that does exist within science.  Has something like this ever
been tried?

--Kristy

Kristy Sundberg
Graduate Student- UCSD Dept of Neuroscience
John Reynolds Lab- The Salk Institute

On Thu Jul 13 12:04 , 'Richard O. Brown' <[log in to unmask]> sent: