ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:23:09 -0600

Hi Chris:

Good questions......and a few comments -

First, there was a report out of some research in Australia a few
years ago (I'll try and look it up) that suggested kids do indeed
remember the biggest stuff best, the iconic exhibits.  If I remember
correctly, and please feel free to correct me, they looked at what
kids remembered 10 years(?) later, from natural history, science and
art museums.  It was the big stuffed animals, skeletons, - hands-
down....

Second - what seems to be missing from the discussion is the notion
of how we determine an exhibit is successful, which is why, perhaps,
there were such a wide range of answers.

Of course this would push the discussion beyond the boundaries of the
original question, but context is critical.

On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Chris Musello wrote:

> *This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate
> (tm) Pro*
> Centers
> institutions.
> *******
>
> Wow.
> So far we museum professionals have responded to Charity's
> important question
> like a group wrestling fans. A good exhibit is anything that's big
> and showy
> regardless of its scientific integrity? Its success in teaching? Its
> innovative approach to its subjects? Its ability to blend
> complexity with clarity? All
> you need is big, unusual stuff to look at? This is not the answer I
> would
> expect from the people who are intimately familiar with the
> challenges we face
> when we try to present the results of scientific research to a
> general audience.
>
> Charity's mistake is to start with the question, "What makes a
> spectacular
> show". Why don't we offer this Masters candidate a breakdown of the
> elements of
> a successful exhibit. Once she understands how we answer that,
> maybe she can
> address the Madison Avenue question.
>
> Chris Musello
>

> **************************************
> Check out AOL's list of
> 2007's hottest products.
>
> (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?
> NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

> *
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at
> www.exhibitfiles.org.
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
> Soft. To learn more, visit

Jeff Courtman
Director of Exhibit Development
Museumscapes
1002 North Central Expressway, Suite 549
Richardson, TX  75080

Office:  972.231.0002
Cell:     469.831.2256