ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:50:36 -0400

We have just such an exhibit, and our motor has run well for 6-7 years.
 It was built by a volunteer, who got the motor from
Jade Mountain Inc, Boulder Colorado  303-449-6601.  They seem to have
become part of Realgoods.com, but the guy there thought they could still
get them (GN108 5A permanent magnet DC generator, was $200)

A radio is fun to add (we just hot-wired to 9V battery terminals).
 We've got a couple of different bulbs too- incandescent (12v from
McMaster) and fluorescent (Coleman makes them now for camping);  the
fluorescent takes a lot less cranking, so makes a nice example of energy
costs.

Kathy Krafft
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY