ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Fred Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:10:06 -0700

Hi Julia,

I appreaciate your dilemna. When I was looking for graduate programs a
decade ago to apply learning theory to museums and other informal
enviroments, I ended up in an education program that had great teachers (in
my opinion, the most important consideration) but more of a school-based
focus, so I always had to make the translation for myself.

Here's an option that I wish had been around when I was looking - it's
called The Center for Informal Learning and Schools (CILS) - a joint
project involving UC Santa Cruz, Kings College London, and the
Exploratorium. It's 5 year mission, amongst other things, is to establish
the field of informal learning by supporting and educating researchers and
practictioners who will have growing impact over the next several decades.
It offers doctoral programs for students, post doc fellowships for
reserachers and certificate programs for practitioners.

The faculty in the program have broad research interests, which meets your
desire to be applicable to the rest of the world beyond museums. Some of
them include Barbara Rogoff, Mareen Callanan, Doris Ash, Sally Duensing,
Jon Osborne, and Rick Duschle.

See the CILS website at http://www.exploratorium.edu/CILS/
or contact me off the list if you have more questions.

Best of luck in your decision-making,

Fred Stein

Fred Stein
Science Educator