ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:56:46 -0400

Hi William,

As you probably remember I have built a number of hand-crank generators over the years. Over time the design has modified. While I originally used DC motors for these machines I changed to using PM alternators made by Gerator Corp in the early '90s when I built the Tower of Power at the Ford Museum. This unit allows visitors to crank up to about 1 HP (746 watts) and there were 19 40-watt bulbs set up to electronically switch on in sequence. While these alternators are expensive (around $ 1,500 each!) they are extremely reliable and the firm will wind to your required voltage.

The opposite end of the spectrum is similar to the unit George refers to. But this exhibit uses a small PM gear motor sold by McMaster-Carr. These little motors are extremely robust and last for years and best of all, they are reasonably priced. At the moment I cannot remember the exact part number but 6331-K-32 is certainly very close. Let me know if you want more info and I'll track the exact unit down. These cost about $ 60.00 each and they handily generate 3 to 6 volts with enough uumph to drive small DC fans, light bulbs and the like. I'm sure they would run a small radio and or LEDs too.

You have to come up with some sort of mount and also buy a hand-wheel for the kids to turn but they are the nuts!

John B

--
John Bowditch
Exhibits Director

The views and representations stated in this e-mail are the individual's. They do not bind the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum or its Board, staff or volunteers, and they do not necessarily reflect the Museum's institutionally-held viewpoints, opinions or policies.