ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:48:06 EST

Dear Sue:

If you think this fits, I would enjoy being part of the panel or  forum.  I
would be interested in addressing the issues:

What is science literacy/public understanding of science?  Are these  valid
constructs?

How does this relate to museum mission statements that focus on science
literacy?

How does informal science education, the pedagogical approach of science
museums, compare with public health education/social marketing approaches that
have specific behavioral outcomes as the "mission," as opposed to the less
tangible outcomes specified for science museums, such as increased interest in
science, etc.

I have been a science center director, program officer at the National
Science Foundation, and have also worked on many media (TV, radio, IMAX films,
website) projects focusing on science education.  I have also written  several
articles on the issues above for the Informal Learning Review.

Let me know if this makes sense (or not).

Thanks.

Bob Russell

In a message dated 11/16/2007 3:34:52 P.M. Romance Standard Time,