ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Blair Clarkson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:41:23 -0500

Hi all,
I am completing ideas for 2008 ASTC Conference Session Proposals and would like to hear ASAP from others interested in collaborating on any of this sessions-ideas below.

As the 2008 Conference Theme is "In the Public Eye: Science Centres at the Crossroads of Science and Culture" I would be very interested in hearing from other Science Centre, Museum or Children's Centre staff who have experience with and would be interested in co-presenting on any of the following:

Please just email me back directly (by Thurs Nov 15th) with your interest and experience in the session below you are interested in.
Thanks & Best Regards, Blair Clarkson, Special Events & Attractions,
Ontario Science Centre, Toronto ON Canada    [log in to unmask]

1 - "Centres as Instigators to Improve their Communities"
How Centres can work with community groups so together they become active instigators to involve, enable and empower those striving to improve local culture.
(Over the last 6 years I've worked with several local community and city-wide groups to develop sci-tech programs and multiple funding sources that allow us to reach local at-risk youth and families and involve local corporate volunteers, local schools and Police officers.  These programs break down the invisible barriers between all these groups and benefit all involved.)

2 - "Playing Well with Multiple Partners"
Want to explore better ways of working with multiple partners?  Curious
about how your colleagues work through similar situations?  Join this
role-playing session where you will be assigned a stakeholder role (Sponsor
rep, Volunteer Group rep, Program-Event Coordinator, Donor rep, Marketing
rep, MediaPR rep, Membership rep etc...) and work with others to creatively
approach a real-world problem ...like those we all face!  By brainstorming
solutions, options and challenges and sharing participants will gain
valuable ideas and solutions they can use to play well with multiple
partners back at their own centre.

3 - "The Experience Continuum - Are New Types Emerging ?"
This session would overview several different types of activities being offered by centres that are outside the traditional exhibit experience.  Do visitors want more or less?  What will  visitors/families/youth/teens/members be interested in ?  How can technology help or hinder ?  Are workshops a way of the future ?  This wide ranging discussion and Q&A would be most rewarding for all involved
as we try to come up with creative ways of meeting these new challenges and meeting the changing needs of our audiences.