ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jennie Dusheck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:51:22 -0700

I watched Raccoon Nation last night and enjoyed it very much. The raccoons are fascinating to watch. But I was puzzled by the repeated statements that the urban raccoons were evolving into something completely different from rural raccoons. I don't remember the researchers presenting any evidence that the raccoons are in fact different, either genetically or otherwise.  Have they studied the rural ones in as much detail? Is there any concrete change in phenotype?  Selection seems likely in some situations but didn't appear to be demonstrated.

The idea of super intelligent raccoons seems like pure speculation, since for all we know, the ones in the woods are already really smart. Also, there's a graphic near the end of what appears to be hundreds (?) of territories superimposed over Toronto neighborhoods, but they said they only collared 5 raccoons in this preliminary study. So either I missed something, or that was poetic license. They also said that they don't know if raccoons opening garbage cans was learned or instinctive. Given the apparent speculation in other areas, it seemed strange to pull back on something that Occam's razor would suggest is learned behavior.

Great footage of raccoons, but I would take the science with a grain of salt (pending evidence not presented in the show).

Jennie Dusheck