ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Adrienne Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:48:10 -0500

This is a call for help (or is it a cry for help?) with two ASTC 2008 proposals I would like to submit.  The first is about managing part-time staff.  The second is specific to those who work with/ run summer camp programs.   More detailed descriptions are below.  Please respond directly to me if you have an interest in being a panelist.

Thank you and best wishes for the quickly encroaching holiday season!

-Adrienne

Adrienne Kimball

Museum Workshops Manager

The Franklin Institute Science Museum

Philadelphia, PA 19103

1.      Managing (and Retaining) Part-time Staff
Museums could not run without dedicated part-time staff, but how do you keep staff motivated, focused and happy?  Training and managing part-timers can be a huge investment of time.  See how we have successfully retained our part-time staff and found creative solutions to satisfying their needs as well as our own. Focus:  Reducing part-time turnover by offering opportunities, morale and flexibility.

2.      Building a Better Summer Camp
Summer camps can be as frustrating to run as they are rewarding.  What are the pitfalls and rewards of running a museum day camp?  How do you direct resources that already exist?  How do you hire and keep a quality staff?  What lessons may be abstracted from past experiences in the preparation and realization of summer camp programming?  Focus:  Picking camp topics, sustaining camper interest, offering fieldtrips, staff retention.