ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:14:56 -0500

I'll look for Chuck's response, but I would say the Creationists
tried to use pseudo-science as  the smokescreen - to try and attack
from within an expert culture rather than as outside.  The
Phrenologists were working from a bad premise, but, as Chuck points
out, it certainly didn't stop them from applying methodology on a
rotten core.

Another good example of cultural bias within science was the heated
debate concerning the Flores "Hobbit."  Human or not?  Those opposed
had a strong bias that something so recent couldn't possibly be non-
human, that it had to be a form of microcephly.  Evidence seems to
support the opposite point of view.  Or how about the not-too-distant
debate over the relationship of birds and dinosaurs (I confess I
can't watch a grackle walking the ground and not see a cousin of a
velociraptor!)