ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathleen Tinworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:58:16 -0700

Call for Proposals for the
2009 CARE Marketplace of Ideas
Audience Research and Evaluation: Relevant, Responsive and Real

Held at the AAM Annual Meeting and MuseumExpo(tm) 2009
Friday, May 1, 2009 from 3:30- 5:30 p.m. in Exhibit Hall A&B
Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, PA

Deadline
FRIDAY, JANUARY 30, 2009
To CARE Marketplace Chair Kathleen Tinworth <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Theme
Inspired by the AAM 2009 Annual Meeting theme, "The Museum Experiment,"
we invite our members and participants to showcase how audience research
and evaluation can and must play a pivotal role in redefining the word
"museum" and shaping the responsibilities we have to the communities we
serve. As museums continue to grow, change, and evolve, what can we do
to continue to learn from and along with and our visitors and our
communities? The CARE Marketplace will explore how audience research and
evaluation strives to remain relevant, responsive and real.

Purpose
The purpose of the CARE Marketplace is:

*	To showcase audience research and evaluation work currently
being undertaken in and for museums
*	To encourage museums of all sizes and types to engage in
audience research and evaluation
*	To present information on the related areas of museum audiences
and museum programs and exhibitions, to encourage museum professionals
to seek generalizations, trends, and principles that can guide efforts
to improve practice
*	To feature studies and programming responding to community or
contemporary issues, programming beyond the walls of the museum,
innovative museum/community partnerships, and the use of technology to
reach new audiences.

Presenters
Museum staff, consultants, museum studies faculty, and students who have
done work on visitor studies, audience research and evaluation, and
museum education are encouraged to share their findings.  For those
presenters who plan to attend ONLY on Friday (the day of the
Marketplace), complimentary day registration will be available; please
indicate on the submission form if you desire a pass for Friday.

Presentation
Each presenter will prepare a poster or other form of display, handouts,
and other materials as relevant.  Displays will be on view concurrently
during the two hour session. Participants will be invited to walk from
display to display, read the posters and other materials, and interact
with the presenters.  Presenters must be knowledgeable about the study
and available throughout the session for discussion.  Under separate
cover, presenters will be sent guidelines for content, format, and
delivery of materials.

Sharing your Presentation
In past years, session and poster presenters were asked to write a paper
for Current Trends in Audience Research and Evaluation. This printed
publication has served us well, but in working toward greater
dissemination and discussion of the ideas, research, and issues of our
field, CARE will begin sharing more material presented at the Annual
Meetings on its website in an electronic format. Though not a
requirement for 2009 posters, after the Annual Meeting CARE will be
asking those presenting to share their posters on the CARE web site
(similar to what the Media and Technology committee does). We welcome
any comments or thoughts about the best way to do this. If you have
ideas, please contact Chair-Elect Keni Sturgeon
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

Participants
We encourage museum staff, consultants, museum studies faculty, and
students who are members of CARE and registered for the AAM Annual
Meeting to consider applying to participate in the Marketplace.

Click here
<http://www.magnetmail1.net/ls.cfm?r=133861614&sid=5572941&m=636957&u=AA
M_CARE&s=http://www.magnetmail.net/images/clients/AAM_CARE/attach/2009CA
REMarketplaceSubmissionForm2.doc>  for the 2008 Marketplace submission
form.

Kathleen Tinworth

   Director

   Visitor Research & Program Evaluation

DENVER MUSEUM OF

NATURE&SCIENCE

Preserve . Present . Excite . Inspire

Nature Unleashed: Inside Natural Disasters
<http://dmns.org/natureunleashed/>  opens February 13th. Bring your
Valentine!

Join the Museum's online community:
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Denver-CO/Denver-Museum-of-Nature-Science