ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Katherine Ziff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 12:22:15 -0600

I've been wanting to jump into this conversation, but we just opened a new
science centre and I've been busy.

For most of my career, I worked for children's museums and science centres
that evaluated exhibits the way (I thought) everyone did it. I loved
working with evaluators but the briefness of their visits and the cognitive
goals we asked them to assess made our exhibits conservative. We focused on
having something that would earn a gold star in their report.

This project has been almost the exact inverse. We didn't work with outside
evaluators. We prototyped exhibits constantly--a half dozen or so new ones
every week for two years. I'd guess the exhibit developers spent as much
time each week prototyping as we'd spend in meetings on a really
meeting-heavy project. It was messier (literally and conceptually) but also
great. Since we had to think up so many potential exhibits, we were
motivated to try new things. Since we had to spend so much time with people
using them, we were motivated to be surprising, delightful, and compelling.

It wasn't all wonderful. I never got comfortable with making things, and
I'm sure we fooled ourselves about some of our ideas. We haven't been open
long enough to have a fair test of how the final exhibits work. But it was
enlightening to experience how different exhibit development and evaluation
could be.

Katherine Ziff
Exhibit Developer
Telus Spark - the new science centre