ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Catherine Paisley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:08:28 -0500

Hello,

We are looking at our camp format for the future and would appreciate input from other camps. Hoping you may be able to respond to some (or all) of the questions below and/or send this email along to those responsible for camp in your Centres/Museums.

We appreciate any feedback you can share, either to the listserve or directly to me below.
  • How many camp weeks do you run each summer?
  • How many campers and camp groups do you have each week?
  • How many camps/themes do you run per week?
  • How do you arrange your themes (by age, grades, other)?
  • How do you arrange your campers (by age, grades, other)?
  • Do you limit the number of themes/camps that campers can participate during the summer?
  • If not, do you find campers get tired of the camp routine? If so, what do you do to avoid this problem?
  • How do you choose your camp themes?
  • Which types of themes are the most popular/easiest to sell out?
  • How do you manage resource inventory of multiple camps running at the same time?
  • How do you train staff on multiple themes?
  • How do you cover for ill or absent counsellors?
  • Who writes your camp programming? How long does this process take? At what time in the year does the writing take place?
  • How long do you keep a theme in circulation at your camp?
  • Do you take campers out on field trips? If so where do you go?
  • Do you have outdoor space for campers to use? If so, do you include outdoor programs as part of your camp?
  • How many hours of hands-on science programming do campers participate in each day at camp?
  • How many exhibit hall visits or other science centre experiences do your campers take part in besides your science programming?

Thanks for your input,

Warm regards,

Angie Aucoin
Recreational and Family Program Leader