Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:47:39 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (162 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Thanks for the correction, Martin.  You're of course right, now that I think back on it.  The VW in the air definitely made a lasting impression, even if an inaccurate one.

Wasn't there a science center somewhere that did have a long lever where visitors could lift up a platform with a car or truck on it?  Or did I just wish for that when I was at Science City?

Cricket

Cricket Brooks | Project Manager

DIMENSIONAL  I N N O V A T I O N S
3421 Merriam Lane  |  Overland Park, KS 66203
Direct: 913.744. 2179  |  Main: 913.384.3488
Fax: 913.384.1074  |  Cell: 913.908.5621 

www.dimin.com

The Nauticus exhibit shows the comparison weight of a Battleship shell and a classic VW Beetle. The exhibit is fixed, not interactive, and merely shows the equivalent weight/balance. I do have a pretty lame, low quality picture I can send upon request. 

Martin S. Fisher
President
Science Central
1950 North Clinton Street
Fort Wayne, IN  46805
Phone: 260-424-2400 ext. 441
Fax: 260-422-2899
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.sciencecentral.org
41°5'52" N  85°7'8" W  756 ft. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cricket Brooks
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 1:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: pulley/lever exhibits

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Science City in Kansas City has some nice pulley chairs that work well.

I think Nauticus in VA (Norfolk?) has an exhibit where a VW bug is being lifted up, if I remember correctly.  I'm trying to remember if guests could use the pulley to lift it, or if it's just shown being lifted.
I'll look back through my pictures and see if I can remember it more clearly.

Also, Discovery Place in Charlotte had some very nice levers in their mechanical exhibit area a few years ago - you might check there.

Best
Cricket

Cricket Brooks | Project Manager

DIMENSIONAL  I N N O V A T I O N S

3421 Merriam Lane  |  Overland Park, KS 66203

Direct: 913.744. 2179  |  Main: 913.384.3488

Fax: 913.384.1074  |  Cell: 913.908.5621

www.dimin.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Watson
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 11:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: pulley/lever exhibits

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hi, all - 

If your institution (or an institution you know or have visited) has either of the following types of exhibits, would you please email me off-list ([log in to unmask]) to let me know? 

1) A "giant pulley" exhibit - the kind where visitors sit on a series of chairs (usually 2 or 3), each of which has a pulley system of a different mechanical advantage (i.e., different numbers of pulleys/ropes), and try to pull themselves toward the ceiling using the pulley systems. 

2) A "giant lever" exhibit - a) The first-class lever kind, in which a heavy load is placed on one end of the lever, and ropes of varying distance from the fulcrum are placed on the other OR b) The second(?)-class lever kind, in which the fulcrum is on the floor and 2 ropes are attached on a lever extending toward the ceiling at different distances from the fulcrum. (When I've seen visitors use this exhibit, it's often been as a "tug-of-war".)

Thanks, 

Bill

Bill Watson
Research Assistant, SCALE-uP
Doctoral Candidate, Curriculum & Instruction The George Washington University
(202) 994-1171
www.gwu.edu/~scale-up

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft.
To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft.
To learn more, visit

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2