ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Howarth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:36:16 -0700

Adding to Jeff's comments, many if not most of Stephen Jay Gould's
essays address cultural biases in science.  For example, 19th century
scientists spent a good bit of time documenting the ways in which, in
their view, some races were superior to others.  They brought that
racist perspective with them to their science, and it guided their
work.  Gould cites many other similar examples from many different
periods of history.

Do scientists today bring biases to their  work?  Of course!  But
other scientists with differing values and biases have the
opportunity to challenge them.   Which suggests that science works
best when people of all cultures and both genders participate and
have the opportunity to challenge one another's work.

> Wayne, you write:
>
> "That is, science does not have a cultural basis."
>
> I'm wondering if we're not confusing phenomena with the practice of
> science.  I would suggest science clearly has a cultural basis.
> Without such a foundation, there would have been no development of
> an expert culture, of words, of symbols, of methodology, etc.  The
> phrase "Natural Philosophy," at least as it pertains to the history
> of euro-centric science, comes to mind.  Science and culture have
> always been mixed - cultural perspective has time and again limited
> the vision of practicing scientists.

> *
Chuck Howarth
Gyroscope, Inc.