ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Bryce, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:20:42 -0800

Hi everyone,

When Happy Hollow Park & Zoo in San Jose was renovated three years ago, we neglected updating our 1970s-era Lawrence Hall of Science interactives.  These are scattered around the zoo, and have electricity, lights and some cover, but are exposed to the elements.  We have five stand-alone modules.

The project is gathering momentum, and I’m coming up with some concepts.  My idea for a theme is zoo technology – how zookeepers use simple science to help take care of the animals.  We’d prefer to have simple mechanical interactives to forgo any possible ongoing maintenance issues, as we have no IT staff onsite.  These are my rough ideas:

- Shift doors: using locks and gates to allow protective contact and keep the keepers safe

- Microchip ID: using RFID tags to tell one monkey from another

- Water pump: draining a pond without a plughole

- Radiographs: using contrast agents to look inside a body system

- Squeeze cages: preventing predators “turning” on their handlers

So… any feedback?  I’ve been in my little zoo teaching bubble too long, I’m out of practice on the exhibit side of things!  Also, if anyone has any further ideas, we may be able to build more modules in other areas of the zoo.  Any guidance appreciated!

Thanks!

Karen Bryce☀

Zoo Educator

Happy Hollow Park & Zoo

Come Out and Play!

City of San José | Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services

1300 Senter Road | San José, California 95112

Direct: 408.794.6421 |  www.hhpz.org <http://www.hhpz.org/>

Follow us on Facebook too!