ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anna Hurst Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:14:26 -0800

We received the following request for recommendations for entertaining easy-to-use astronomy-related software programs (or online) that run on an XP computer with a touch screen, for use in a children's waiting room in a hospital. If any of you have suggestions, please send them directly to Dr. Moritz at [log in to unmask] and mention that you heard of his request through the ASP. Thanks!

+++++++++++++++++

Our hospital, in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, is about to open a new Pediatric Department.  In the children’s waiting room, there is a large wall that is covered with dark blue tile.  We have commissioned an artist to create a night sky with constellations on this wall. This section of the waiting area has been designated a “Cosmic Learning Center” and we have three computer stations in front of the wall.  We would like to have programs that are both educational and fun for young people to use while they are waiting for their appointments.  The patient’s ages will range from ten to eighteen years old and we want to feature astronomy and earth science themes to the programs.  They will have a short period of time to interact with the computers and the programs will have to be self explanatory.

The computers that we will use are called “Thin Client” and they are manufactured by HP.  Each computer will have a touch screen that is also made by HP. There will be no keyboard and no mouse.   Microsoft XP is the operating system.

I would appreciate suggestions concerning programs that would meet our needs and that would be compatible with the touch screens.  Thank you!

Norbert F. Moritz, O.D., F.A.A.O.
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Staff Doctor, Mayo Clinic Health System, Eau Claire

Anna Hurst Schmitt
Astronomical Society of the Pacific
390 Ashton Ave, SF, CA 94112
415-337-1100 ext. 108