ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:47:27 -0400

Hi Kathleen,

I totally agree. Our work has covered many aspects of safety for exhbits but there has been an especial emphasis on proper electrical wiring. I'm "shocked" by some of the wiring I've seen in exhibits, even those built by reputable commercial firms. It's as if the National Electrical Code never existed.

Here are some of our procedures:

1) read and understand the pertainent parts of the National Electrical Code, especially Article 250 (Grounding).

2) Follow it as closely as you can.

We use metal NEMA boxes of either the type known as No. 12 or No. 1 These are reasonably priced,come in a variety of sizes and they totally enclose hazardous wiring and devices. Any wiring between these boxes is either in some sort of rigid conduit or at least uses UL approved flexible cords that pass through approved cord grips.

We use class 2 wiring for all pushbuttons and wherever else we can.

We use fuses on BOTH sides of transformers that step volttages down to class 2 levels (under 50 volts).

We pay very close attention to venting lighting and ease of bulb replacement.

John Bowditch