ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marti Louw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:21:33 -0400

Hi Mike

For the NSF funded "How People Make Things" exhibit at the Children's
Museum of Pittsburgh we had a similar challenge to make the idea of
state change concrete and tangible.  Our focus was molding -- from wax
to plastic injection.  The exhibit team created a "molding with wax"
exhibit that allowed kids to play with a solid to liquid state change,
or how the viscosity changed as it cooled.  The exhibit team came up
with a pretty neat method allowing children to play with hot viscous
wax that cooled in a timely way into a solid.  There are some plastic
additives candlemakers use that could give wax a more "clear"
glasslike look but be in a workable temperature range that cools
quickly.  It fun to play with wax and molds.

Here's an overview of the project and pictures with formative eval
findings of this exhibit. http://informalscience.org/project/spotlight/hpmt

Good luck.

marti

Marti Louw, Research Faculty
UPCLOSE | University of Pittsburgh
Center for Learning in Out-of-School Environments
Learning Research and Development Center
3939 O'Hara Street • Pittsburgh, PA 15260
[tel] 412 624 7477 [skype] martilouw
MartiL {at} pitt {dot} edu
http://upclose.lrdc.pitt.edu