ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Wurtak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:15:24 -0500

William, years ago we developed a couple of bicycle generators using car
alternators.  On one we had a series of LED's that lit sequentially as the
electricity was generated.  The number of watts were marked so that visitors
would know how much energy is required (from them) to produce different
amounts of electricity (e.g. a 60w light bulb).  We hooked up the other bike
generator to a 12v camera/tv system purchased at Radio Shack.  Visitors
loved to see themselves on TV, and it was a great hit. They were both very
well received. And many years later were still in service.

I also developed a hand-crank generator -based exhibit where visitors would
wire up a circuit (either parallel or series) of lights and other devices -
including a cassette tape player (radio signal were unreliable) and then
turn the generator to provide the power.  I think the generator was a 6v
Genecon, from Ward's Scientific supply.  It looked kind of cheap (in a
plastic pistol shape) but it actually held up very reliable for many years.
We mounted it to an acrylic box to support it.

-George