ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tinsley Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:07:25 -0400

The following is a quote from a recent NY Times article (8.21.05) and
refers to the Discovery Institute:

"A closer look shows a multidimensional organization, financed by
missionary and mainstream groups - the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
provides $1 million a year, including $50,000 of Mr. Chapman's $141,000
annual salary - and asserting itself on questions on issues as varied as
local transportation and foreign affairs."

Why is that I, as a scientist and educator, suddenly feel that I should
never buy another Microsoft product again and that perhaps that response
could have an effect if whole institutions felt the same way?  Granted,
I am a Mac person, but I had been softening toward Microsoft when I read
about the money given to researching understudied third world
diseases.   I now imagine a world where science centers and universities
divest from Microsoft both from the user end and the investment end.
Who knows if that would even make a dent in sales, but scientists
wouldn't have to get up on the witness stand to have an effect on the
"debate."

If you're looking for an alternate to Powerpoint, check out Apple's
Keynote program.  It's under 50.00, comes bundled with a word processing
program, and is very suitable for creative applications.  Of course,
that is said without having investigated Apple's corporate giving
strategy...

-Tinsley
Tinsley H. Davis, M.S.
Education Associate