ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:11:58 -0600

Eric:  Great use of youtube.  Seeing the overhead projector reminded
me of a simple project David Sanders created for The Science Place
(through the Exploratorium's/NSF staff training project).

Dave build a small plex container, about 2 inches high, and about the
size of the projecting area, creating a very simple, easy-to-
manipulate ripple tank.  I think we used a small squeeze bulb (about
the size we used to use to clean our children's noses). You can
create puffs of air, or you can drip drops of water into the 'tank'
and the wave patterns are quite visible.  You can obviously add
simple cut out acrylic shapes to look at reflections, etc.
Very nice and very simple use of shadows to help make the invisible
visible.

I give a second big thumbs down to ambient music.  Another reason,
besides staff insanity, is needing a volume control that responds to
ambient sound level in the room.  Doable, but do you really want to?

Loved the play idea of making structures and feeding into the wind
silos.  I would probably want to put some of these shapes on a stick
(like the cutouts) so they could be studied a bit more as they
turned.....

Thanks for the chance to kibbitz and kudos for your staff for
offering this up for critique!