ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:03:47 +0000

Ian Russell here. Mario Di Maggio has asked me to post this on his behalf,
as he is not subscribed to ASTC-L. For this reason, please reply to him
directly, off-list.

Hello everyone
Starting this Friday 13th, we are putting on a five day
event called "Superstition - Science Fact or Fiction?"
Activities include a 'Superstition Obstacle Course',
where brave visitors deliberately walk under ladders,
smash mirrors, open umbrellas indoors, etc. In the
process they not only learn the likely origin of these
superstitions, but discover how contradictory (and
downright silly) such beliefs are. On completion of the
13 challenges they receive a certificate celebrating
their freedom from irrational thinking.
We also have a live science show (includes a
coin-flipping experiment involving the entire audience
where someone wins a £5 coin; a powerful 'psychic'
demonstration; smashing a large mirror with a
sledgehammer, etc); a planetarium show about astrology;
and we have permission to use material from Richard
Wiseman's book (www.luckfactor.co.uk/survey.html) and
this handout
(www.mysteryinvestigators.com/magazine/no_01.pdf)
throughout the centre.
Our restaurant will even be offering coffee with a special
'misfortune' cookie.
It should be great fun, and the media is certainly loving it.
Anyway, what I'd like to ask please is: does anyone
know of any other science centre that has put on a
Superstition event before? I know it has been done by
university and sceptic groups - but a science
centre/museum?
Any feedback (before Friday 13th) would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

Mario Di Maggio
Manager: ScottishPower Space Theatre
Glasgow Science Centre
50 Pacific Quay
Glasgow
G51 1EA
0141-420 5010 x310
Inside a planetarium you feel the knowledge at a gut
level, even if your mind stumbles - Laurent Pellerin